I recently had some browser frustrations that nearly sent me over the edge. After a recent Firefox Update to the newest version 3.0.5, a few websites suddenly were displayed entirely in bold fonts. Initially I thought perhaps something in my CSS needed adjusting to be compatible but after asking around, no one else was seeing these mysterious bold fonts on my sites. Only I was seeing this phenomenon. It finally dawned on me that the last thing I changed was my upgrade to the new FireFox so I put on my pink detective hat and turned to my trusty pal Google for help.
Apparently a few people have been experiencing phantom bold text after upgrading FireFox, so if that is the case for you – here is what to can try to get it corrected:
- Try to identify what fonts are bolding unnecessarily (Arial, Times, Georgia)… for me it was Times and Georgia causing trouble. During the FireFox upgrade core fonts can corrupt causing them to misbehave (or so Google tells me)
- Go to this website; http://web.nickshanks.com/typography/corefonts and download the appropriate misbehaving core font
- Run the executable for the core font you downloaded
- Restart your computer
If these steps still don’t help, you can try checking out this help article from Mozilla.